Due to the continuing threat of COVID-19, FOL Volunteers are currently working on a very limited basis. Information about volunteering and new volunteer orientation will be posted when available.
FOL is run entirely by volunteers! We need your help to make all our activities a success. All volunteers must be active FOL members.
Volunteers are needed to:
- Sort donations: as books are received, they need to be inventoried, priced, and organized.
- Assist at book sales, helping customers and carrying out books.
- Lead and organize book sections.
- Run booths at First Friday Art Trails, or at special events like the Arts Festival or the Silent Wings Museum on Veterans' Day.
- Oversee the Facebook, City, and FOL websites.
- Work the CD/DVD cleaning and repairing equipment.
- Prepare and distribute publicity for all sales.
- Make sure all the areas of the sales floor are ready for each sale - including housekeeping, signage, refreshments for workers, overseeing student volunteers as carry-outs, manning the cashier's stations, etc.
- Online volunteers prepare and list items for sale on AbeBooks and eBay, handle correspondence with customers, and pack and ship orders.
- The volunteers who serve on the Board of Directors also represent the FOL in public.
An hour a month or 40 hours a week, every contribution matters!
Volunteers worked 32,897 hours in 2019.
Benefits of Volunteering
- Unlimited purchases from Regular, Better, and Best book shelves
- Name badge
- Volunteer announcements
- Free books from the Free Table and Unwanted-Book Carts.